Welcome to the enchanting island of São Jorge, an emerald jewel nestled amidst the vast expanse of the Atlantic Ocean in the Azores archipelago, Portugal.
I was always curious to visit this island, and as the ferry boat approached the island’s coastline, coming from Madalena, in Pico Island, my heart started pounding with excitement, eager to explore the hidden wonders of this paradise.
For years, I was told this was one of the most amazing islands to visit in the Azores, right after Flores, and I couldn’t believe I was finally there.
São Jorge is where time seems to slow down, and Mother Nature herself has sculpted a landscape that leaves visitors in awe of her creativity.
Discovering the Island of São Jorge
São Jorge is one of the nine volcanic islands that form the Azores archipelago. Its history dates back to the early 15th century when Portuguese navigators first set foot on its shores.
As I also stepped onto the island, I couldn’t help but marvel at the breathtaking beauty that unfolded before me. Azure skies kissed the jagged cliffs, and lush green pastures extended as far as the eye could see, dotted with traditional whitewashed houses.
The island is located about 1450 km west of Portugal and is characterized by deep valleys and soaring peaks, remnants of its volcanic origins.
São Jorge is a haven for nature lovers and a place where the islanders have preserved their cultural heritage with utmost pride.
The Enchanting Fajã da Caldeira de Santo Cristo
Among the myriad wonders of São Jorge, Fajã da Caldeira de Santo Cristo stands out as a place of unparalleled natural beauty. It was my primary destination on the island.
As I ventured towards this isolated coastal area, my anticipation grew. Fajãs are unique to the Azores and are formed by ancient lava flows cascading into the ocean, creating fertile plains of fertile land along the coast.
Upon arrival, I was mesmerized by the tranquility that engulfed the entire area. There were no roads, no cars, only the sounds of crashing waves and the whispers of the wind. This peaceful isolation was a balm for my soul.
The Fajã de Santo Cristo boasts a coastal lagoon, where the waters seem to merge seamlessly with the sky, inviting travelers to explore it. An old little church and a few houses form this small town that rests at the hill’s bottom.
Surfing the waves of Fajã da Caldeira de Santo Cristo
The mighty Atlantic swells that hug the shoreline make Fajã de Santo Cristo a surfer’s paradise and are what brought me to this place.
As I paddled out to meet the azure waves, a rush of exhilaration coursed through my veins as I surfed this place for the first time.
The coastline framed the experience, providing a stunning backdrop of majestic cliffs and lush greenery. A sight that I’ll cherish forever.
Remember to do your travel insurance
The Simão Dias Natural Pool – A Refreshing Haven
After spending a few days in this Caldeira de Santo Cristo, appreciating the calm and the amazing waves, I set to explore the rest of the island and found the Poça Simão Dias.
This secluded natural pool, nestled between towering cliffs, offers the perfect oasis for unwinding. The crystal-clear waters invited me to take a refreshing dip, and I eagerly obliged.
As I swam, I marveled at the surrounding cliffs protecting this little piece of heaven from the outside world. The sweet scent of saltwater filled the air, complemented by the earthy aroma of the greenery nearby.
Closing my eyes, I listened to the symphony of waves crashing against the rocks, blending harmoniously with the whispers of the wind. Time seemed to stand still for a moment, and I was fully connected with the essence of São Jorge.
The Importance of Natural Preservation
Throughout my journey to São Jorge, I was struck by all its natural beauty. From the protected fajãs to the meticulous maintenance of the Simão Dias natural pool, there seems to be a collective commitment to safeguarding the island’s unique ecosystems.
São Jorge is a paradise for travelers and a sanctuary for diverse flora and fauna. The island’s endemic plant species and birdlife are a testament to its ecological richness. The Azores, including São Jorge, are part of the UNESCO Global Geoparks Network, recognizing the islands’ geological, cultural, and environmental value.
Tips for Exploring São Jorge
- Embrace Simplicity: São Jorge offers a chance to disconnect from the hectic world. Embrace the slower pace of life and savor every moment.
- Explore the Fajãs: The island’s fajãs are a unique feature of the Azores. Venture off the beaten path to discover their hidden beauty.
- Surfing and More: Fajã de Santo Cristo offers an unparalleled surfing experience for adventure seekers. But remember, there’s much more to explore, from hiking trails to scuba diving.
- Connect with Locals: The warmth and hospitality of the islanders make São Jorge even more special. Engage with them, and you’ll discover the heart and soul of the island.
- Preserve the Environment: São Jorge’s natural beauty is its most valuable asset. Be mindful of your impact and help preserve this pristine paradise for future generations.
My journey to São Jorge was nothing short of a soul-stirring odyssey. This mesmerizing island gifted me with an experience I’ll always take with me.
São Jorge is a testament to the beauty and resilience of nature, a place where travelers can genuinely find solace and inspiration. My advice is that you embrace the allure of this island and include it in your travel plans next time you visit the Azores. It will undoubtedly leave an indelible mark on your heart.
Explore São Jorge island in Azores
ARE YOU GONNA TRAVEL?
Prepare your trip with Marlene On The Move’s partners!
- 🏨 Use Booking.com or Hostelworld and choose your favorite stay at the best prices.
- 🚙 Book your car with Rentalcars or Discover Cars and get the best deal.
- ✈️ Find the cheapest flights on Skyscanner, no matter the destination.
- 🚉 Buy your transportation tickets with Omio and avoid the queues.
- Make your IATI travel insurance and get a 5% discount.
- 📲 Get your eSIM with Airalo and always be connected during your trip.
- 🎟️ Explore your destination with the best tours of GuestYourGuide.
By using these links to make your reservations, you will not pay more for that and it makes all the difference to me! It’s with these partnerships that I manage to maintain the blog, so your help is precious! Thank you in advance!